World Vets operates multiple international field service projects throughout the year, many of which have volunteer opportunities for veterinarians, veterinary technicians, students and assistants. All volunteer opportunities are open to any nationality.
The veterinary technician/student category is open to pre–veterinary students, veterinary students, veterinary technology students, licensed and non-licensed veterinary technicians and experienced veterinary assistants. On a small animal project, volunteers registered under this category may be involved in any of the following activities:
- Pre med/Induction: Assisting with prepping patients for surgery (i.e. animal handling/restraint, expressing bladders, assisting with catheter placement, shaving and sterilizing surgical field, positioning patient for the surgeon).
- Surgery: Assisting a veterinarian in surgery, cleaning up surgical area for the next patient and/or observing surgery. Note: only veterinary students are allowed to participate in performing surgical procedures and only under the direct guidance and instruction of a veterinarian.
- Recovery: Monitoring patients after surgery, administering appropriate post-op medications per protocol chart and grooming.
- Instruments: Cleaning, sterilizing and sorting surgical instruments.
- Health Consultations: Assisting a veterinarian perform health consultations.